Monday, September 5, 2011

Peaches....


Ever gone peach picking? I hadn't, but love peaches! We decided to spend yesterday on a peach quest. First we went peach picking at a farm...

We had a great time trying to figure out how to tell which ones we should pick. We didn't want to pick them too ripe or rock hard.
Being that it was our first time doing this we decided to stick to a safe amount and only picked a half bushel (which is about 16 quarts).

When we were done we felt pretty accomplished. Now off to find something to do with our peaches. You can't have peaches without making peach pie! We found a flyer at the farm with a recipe that we tweaked a little to make it our own. Here's the recipe we used:

Peach Pie:
about 9-10 peaches
3/4 c sugar
2Tbsp Tapioca
cinnamon (no specific amount)
nutmeg (no specific amount)
2Tbsp (aprox) butter cut up
ready made pie crust (9 in. deep dish)
ready made pie crust to put over the top
sugar and cinnamon mixture to sprinkle over the top

Mix the first 6 ingredients together, pour mixture into the pie shell, stick the other 9 in. crust over the top and pinch pie crusts together to create somewhat of a seal. Sprinkle top of crust with cinnamon and sugar mixture then bake at 400 degrees for about 45, or until the top crust is golden.
Now the finished product was not the prettiest pie on the block, but was probably the best pie I've ever tasted!

I must throw in this disclaimer; I have only baked about 2 pies in my life! One of which was when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter who is now almost 25. The other was several years ago. So between my six year old daughter and myself, I think we did pretty well :) Next we're going to tackle peach jam or peach butter. Recipe to follow....



No comments:

Post a Comment