Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Parental Rights...again...

I've written about this before and I'm sure that I will again! Parental Rights is a topic that I feel very strongly about. It is up there among my top reasons for homeschooling! I read an article today that really hit a nerve. It was about a child who's homemade lunch was taken away for being not healthy enough. To be perfectly honest with you, it really shouldn't be the concern of the school if a parent chooses to pack only cake in their child's lunch! That may be a little irresponsible on the part of a parent, however it should still be their choice. It reminded me of a time when my older kids were in public school. I had brought a bag of candy for my son's class party. I was met at the door of the school by a woman (that worked for the school) that I knew very well, and she knew me. I could see my son about 50 feet away from me at his locker, but was not allowed to give him the bag of candy or talk to him. I had to leave it in the office to be given to him by a staff member. How ridiculous. We live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. I could understand if the school employee didn't know me and know that I was his mother, but that wasn't the case! The situation really got me thinking.

I came across another article about a girl being given vaccines at school without their parent's consent. The school doesn't keep kids full medical history on hand. What if that child had medical reasons for not receiving those vaccines. The girl did also have an adverse reaction to the vaccines as well. The health system that ran the clinic administering the vaccines that day at that school said that they will meet with the student’s family to ensure that the issue is addressed appropriately. How do you address the issue appropriately when you can't take it back. They can not undo the vaccines given to the girl! Again I think of my own situation. I have a son that if given vaccines could be subject to extreme adverse reactions due to his health condition. 


Again, I will adamantly state that as parents we should never give up our right to make decisions on our children's behalf about their well being! 


 I do know that there are parents out there that don't take care of their kids, but I do believe they are the minority,  not the majority. At the end of the day, do we want to live in a police state? We live in a country founded on the belief that we should all be free. Most parents have children with the best of intention to raise those children to adulthood with love and nurturing, guiding them along the way, teaching them the skills that they will need to be happy, helpful contributing members to society. I don't know of any parent that gives birth, looks at their beautiful baby and thinks, "the government should raise this child with love".

Here is another article that should be an eye opener on parental rights and the governments encroachment on those rights.

Children can not raise themselves, nor should they raise each other. They should be raised by their parents, the ones with a vested loving interest in them and their future! There is a great book regarding parenting that I would highly recommend!

Back to parental rights...It is our responsibility as parents to protect our children! The first step to that is to take responsibility in raising our own kids! Parents who love their kids are more qualified for that job then the government!

Be proactive as a parent! Be informed! Let's hang on to our kids and maintain our parental rights! 

No comments:

Post a Comment